Linda A. Walker
696 East Hoffman St.
Three Rivers, MI 49093
Acquire a position that assumes administrative responsibilities including; advising students and alumni with career development, internships and employment in their field of study. Utilize my interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with diverse populations providing advice for employability and interview techniques. Facilitate collaboration between employers and students including career program event planning.
Master’s Degree in Education, Instruction and Curriculum, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI (2013 - 2017)
Graduate Teacher Certificate Program in Secondary Education, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI (2012 - 2013)
Undergraduate level prerequisite courses, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI (2009 - 2012)
Bachelor’s of Art Degree, Studio Art, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL (1979 - 1983)
- Glen Oaks Community College Graphic Design Instructor working in cooperation with the St. Joseph County Career and Technical Education (CTE) Program, Centreville, MI. Highlights include; program expansion through effective marketing and student recruiting, development of introductory and advanced level graphic design course content, implementation of the graphic design student internship program connecting with local business partners and emphasis on student resume and website building.
- Fluent in Adobe InDesign, Photo Shop and Illustrator programs; Canvas and Blackboard online learning platforms. Grade Book and Power Teacher Pro grading and attendance.
- Many additional student opportunities provided through coordination of extra-curricular activities including; college tours, student portfolio day participation, art exhibits/art competition entries and annual field trips to Chicago and Grand Rapids.
- Promotion and participation in annual career awareness events including; Career Quest, CTE county-wide recruiting for all tenth grade level students and Business Professionals of America membership with focus on intrapersonal skills.
- Leadership role in the graphic design advisory committee and facilitator of relationships between students and community.
- Mentoring of new teachers regarding best practices for classroom management, assessment, program and professional development and teacher/student relationship building.
- Burr Oak Community Schools, Burr Oak, MI. Art instructor responsibilities include; all visual art lessons for pre-K through twelfth grade, including yearbook and start up of digital arts curriculum. (September 2013 – 2014)
- Kalamazoo Central High School student and teaching assistant including, classroom management strategies and instruction for Basic Art and Design, Intro and Advanced Ceramics. (August 2012 - March 2013). Elementary level student teacher, Lawton Elementary School. (March - May 2013)
- Substitute teacher for Portage, Schoolcraft, Vicksburg, Paw Paw, Lawton, Van Buren County ISD, Lawrence and Mattawan public schools. All grade levels and disciplines including special education, art, music and physical education. (2008 - 2012)
- Piloted Kalamazoo Artist’s Alliance Center, non-profit organization, along with two others in order to serve the local art community by providing an outlet to enable artists to exhibit and sell their artwork. Also identified the need to educate local underprivileged children in the arts. (2008 - 2010)
- Owner/artist of Valentino Walker Murals and Decorative Painting, LLC. Developed and maintained a creative arts business working in conjunction with builders, business owners, decorators and homeowners. Major projects include; Armstrong International, Three Rivers, MI, Trestlewood Pediatrics, Portage, MI and White Oaks Retirement Community, Lawton, MI (1990 - 2013)
- Computer graphic artist and project coordinator with responsibilities including; scheduling production, job creation and preparation for presentations, Genigraphics Corporation, Oakbrook, lL and AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL (prior to 2000)
GVSU Design Thinking K-12 Summit; Design Thinking Academy, Grand Rapids, MI – 1 day. AIGA Design Week participant, Stefan Sagmeister “Why Beauty Matters” presentation, Steelcase Town Hall, Grand Rapids, MI
Michigan Community College Association (MCCA) Student Success Summit participant, Lansing, MI – 2 days. School of the Art Institute Chicago OxBow Campus, Portrait Painting with Rick Beerhorst – 1 week.
National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP) participant/presenter, Louisville KT - 3 days. Enhanced Teaching and Learning Canvas Online Platform Training, Glen Oaks Community College Course – 12 weeks. Image and Text wood cut printmaking with Janenne Coup at Oxbow, Saugatuck, MI – 1 week. Design Thinking Summit, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, John Berry – 1 day.
Design Thinking Educator Webinar, Mr. Ted Malefyt – 3 weeks. Student Success Seminar, Kalamazoo Valley Community College – 1 day. Increasing Student Success, Glen Oaks Community College - 1 day.
Trends Community College Conference, Traverse City, MI - 2 days. Michigan Art Education Conference, Lansing, MI - 1 day. Career Technical Education Teacher Training, Lansing MI - 1 day. Grading Practices and Assessments, Unit and Lesson. Planning, Increasing Active Engagement, Classroom Management Skills, St. Joseph County ISD, Centerville, MI - 1 day for each topic.
GVSU action research project for visually impaired based on new strategies to aid students in creating art more independently, Kalamazoo Central High School. Fire Up Pre-Service Teacher Conference, Grand Rapids, MI, New Teacher Training, Centreville, MI. “No Bones About It” children’s clay workshop presenter, Antwerp Sunshine Library, Mattawan, MI
New strategies in Literacy for all Academic Disciplines, Aid and Assist at Risk Students, Kalamazoo Central High School. Fire Up Pre-Service Teacher Conference, Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, MI. GVSU GTC Program Observation of Art and Foreign Language classes, Reeths-Puffer High School, Muskegon, MI
Mentor for High School student, Senior Seminar Project with studio instruction on the basics of creative business practices, Mattawan, MI. Provided apprenticeship for GVSU visual art student working on historical mural project for Armstrong International, Three Rivers, MI. Meijer Gardens Saturday Public Art Program volunteer teacher in conjunction with the Jim Dine sculpture exhibit, Grand Rapids, MI
ArtPrize art education program volunteer at the Urban Institute for Contemporary Art, Grand Rapids, MI. Art Buddies cognitively impaired student program volunteer art teacher, GVSU, Allendale, MI. “Make a Splash” children’s watercolor workshop, Antwerp Sunshine Library, Mattawan, MI
2008 and prior
Traditional and Digital Media Art Classes participant, Kalamazoo Institute of the Arts, Kalamazoo, MI. OxBow summer artist’s camp, painting and printmaking participant through the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Saugatuck, MI
Professional Memberships and Interests
- American Institute of Graphic Arts, (2017 - present)
- Three Rivers Artist’s Guild, (2017 - present)
- Michigan Education Association, (2014 - present)
- Michigan Art Educator’s Association, (2014 - 2015)
- Plein Air Artists of West Michigan. Bi-monthly painting and exhibits (June 2010 - present)
- Representation of acrylic paintings, Stafford’s Gallery, Petoskey, MI, Sleeping bear Gallery Empire, MI, Gallery Fifty, Traverse City, MI, (2012 - 2016)
- Board of Directors, Friends of the Antwerp Sunshine Library, Mattawan, MI, (2010 - 2013)
- Board of Directors, Kalamazoo Artist’s Alliance Center, Kalamazoo, MI, (2009 - 2011)
- Vice President of the Mattawan Business Association, Mattawan, MI, (2007 - 2011)
2018 Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Gold Key Student Instructor, South Bend, IN
2017 National Honor Society Outstanding Instructor Award, Colon, MI
2016 State of Michigan Career and Technical Education Showcase, Lansing, MI
2013 GVSU College of Education Telephone Pioneers Scholarship Award, Grand Rapids, MI
2012 President’s Council and Michigan House of Representatives Special Recognition award for the “Art in the House” exhibit, Lansing, MI
2012 GVSU Award for Academic Excellence in Art Education, Grand Rapids, MI
2012 Selected for Glen Arbor Artist in Residency Program, Glen Arbor, MI
2011 Student Sponsorship Award, Michigan Art Educators Association Conference, Kalamazoo, MI
2007 Emerging Artist Grant awarded by the Arts Council of Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo, MI
2006 Artist’s Grant for mural painting at the Disability Resource Center, Kalamazoo, MI